Sunday, June 16, 2013

Summer Journaling and Reading

My daughters have made this English/Writing major momma proud.

One of the first purchases of the summer for each of them was a new journal. At one point I was even standing in the bookstore texting pictures of journals because Jess needed one "now" and didn't want to wait until she could get to the store herself.

It's interesting that each of them journals differently. Jess writes everyday and tapes pictures and mementoes into her journal. Already she needs a rubber band to keep it shut. Kelsey journals important events she wants to always remember. Jaena purchased a journal with staff lines for songs she writes.

Me: I have a little of everything in my journal. My devotions, my prayer requests, meeting notes, quotes I want to remember, books I've read this year, knitting projects completed this year, books I want to read, what I'm grateful for, sermon notes, doodling and even more. It goes with me EVERYWHERE.

The girls and I stopped by the Half Off Bookstore in Indy this week and spent way too much time and money there. Kelsey decided she spends more money on books than clothes. That's saying a lot for a teenage girl! One purchase was "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austin. And Jess asked for a particular book for her birthday this week, "100 Words Every High School Freshman Should Know" by Editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries.

I just finished "The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat" by Edward Kelsey Moore. I'm starting a book of short stories, "Vampires in the Lemon Grove" by Karen Russell. This will be the 30th book I've read so far this year.

It's going to be a good summer of reading and writing at my house. I'll try to catch a few pictures of journaling and reading in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment