Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mom Memories, Part VIII

My last memory is of books. Mom was always reading a book, and most of the time it was the Bible. Thank you Mom for instilling the love of reading in me, especially those Women’s Missionary Society books that opened the world to me through reading about the lives of Christian missionaries. One of the hardest parts of this illness, Alzheimer's, for my mom is her inability to read. She has been robbed of one of her greatest joys. But Dad reads the Bible to her and they listen to books on CD together. One of the best pieces of advice my mom gave me was that when sleep won’t come, when your worried about something, read the Bible. She says it always calms her spirit. I know my mom’s desire is the same as King David’s when he said, “Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in your word.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment